I’ve done two posts concerning Google’s +1 button, namely Google+1 Showing Others Their Stamp Of Approval and Which Is Of More Value A Tweet Or Google’s +1? The funny thing was that a lot of people were comparing the +1 to FaceBooks like button and I thought it was so much more than that. It’s still my opinion that Google will factor people’s +1s into their search algorithm.
Google+ changes all that now that they’re live and FaceBook should be worried because unlike +1 Google+ is their direct competition. I’ve only joined Google+ today and already I’m loving it better than FaceBook. While there are similarities it’s features are so much better. So much so that I’ve heard FaceBook are so worried they are working on some major revamping just so they can remain in contention. So let’s look at some of the features:
- Circles: This is the best thing about Google+ and is one of the reasons it will leave FaceBook for dead. Once you’ve joined you can organise all the people you follow into ‘Circles’ As you can see I have one Circle just for my Blogger buddies. I’ve also got one for Family, Friends and Acquaintances. You can have as many circles as you want.
- Selective Streams: This is directly related to your Circles. When you post something in the stream you can select exactly who sees it. It can be made completely public or you can select a particular Circle or even several Circles giving you complete control of who sees your posts.
- Self Promotion: When adjusting your profile you can add as much of yourself as you like thereby selling yourself to whoever is viewing your profile. Make sure when you do this you do not forget adding links to those sites you wish to promote
- Google+ Hangouts: This is so cool that it probably has FaceBook and Skype quaking in there boots. Who knows, perhaps Skype sold to Microsoft because they knew this was coming. When youstart a hangout you can invite up to 10 people to have a video conference and it’s absolutely free. Completely unheard of in FaceBook and you have to pay to use this feature in Skype.
- Sparks: Is just like your news reader. Clicking this presents you a selection of categories of what’s hot now or you simply type in your search term to find what you’re interested in.
The one thing that I really ... Read more