When people market their blogs or websites they usually target either a keyword or a set of keywords that they want to achieve a high ranking for in the search engines. The reason for this being, if done correctly, when a person types that particular keyword or string of keywords then their blog or website is listed right at the top of the search page if not somewhere on page one of any particular search engine.
Personally I couldn’t be bothered with all that as I find it boring and time consuming. Still, having said that I find it interesting, if not amusing, some of the terms that people use that lead them to my blogs. I just want to share some of them with you.
- Rudd is bullshit: Funny enough if someone uses the word bullshit in their search string it usually points to my Load Of Bullshit Blog. This particular term ranked 4 on Google and lead to Kevin Rudd Wants The dead To Stimulate The Economy
- Microword Corporation: No.1 on Google and points to my Microword Corporations Sweepstake Promotion post.
- Chinatown Adelaide: Ranked no. 4 and leads to Adelaide’s Very Own Chinatown
- wordpress “better than thesis“: Pointed to FlexSqueeze Putting The Squeeze On Thesis and was ranked at no.2
- melbourne mayor 2009: This actually ranked as no.4 and points to my Melbourne Mayor Is Full Of Shit Post, which I find amusing because it seems that the only way this poor excuse for a mayor can get noticed is by slagging off at other cities.
- mastering thesis theme: This one actually made it to n0.2 and the word that helped it to get to those heights was ‘mastering’ so it just goes to show how important it is to pick the right word. Before I forget it pointed to my My First Impression Of The Thesis Theme.
- cool blog links: Still ranked no.1 and every time this search term is used it leads straight to my Cool Blog Links site which may be a good reason to join, don’t you think?
- themes/flexisqueeze: Believe it or not this actually got ranked second and because of a typo. Still, that doesn’t mean that you should stop proof reading your posts. See if you can find the typoFlexSqueeze Putting The Squeeze On Thesis | WassupBlog
- london bridge before collapse: The Collapse Of The Great London Bridge ranked no.4 and shows the importance posting more than just photos on your photo blog. Think about it for a bit, if all you post is a photo how are the search engines going to find you. The title alone probably won’t be enough.
- bullshit.com: I was pretty disappointed when I found out that someone beat me to the bullshit.com domain, but it’s not all that bad as my blog still ranks as no.4 even for that search term.
So, what does all this prove? That keywords are important and that by using them in your title as well as your post will usually improve your SERP rankings. I say usually because you never know what Google is going to do.