One day when I booted up my PC I noticed all my icons flashing on the desktop. Although it was pretty annoying I decided that I’d look into it after doing my usual bout of commenting. Imagine my surprise when every time I started to comment on a blog the page would reload, thereby losing my comment. I thought that perhaps I could write the comment in NotePad or Word and then cut and paste it into the comment form. Nope, that wouldn’t work because all these characters started appearing automatically, mainly the date, making it all a wasted effort.
Now I’m pissed. First I thought that I had picked up some virus or something so I did a scan of the PC and it came up clean. It took me ages to find a solution and when I did resolve the issue it was something completely unexpected; The first thing I did was to search Google for a solution. These are just a few of the search terms that I tried.
- Why does commenting on WordPress Blogs cause the post to reload? That search was a bust so I tried.
- Why do characters appear automatically in Word? That also didn’t come up with anything useful, so back to the drawing board.
- How can I stop the icons from flashing on my desktop? Yep, that one gave me a lot of hits which turned out to be completely useless.
It took me literally days to work it out, and I did everything from downloading and running malaware programs to hurling abuse at the monitor, none of which worked, although swearing at the computer did let of a little steam.
I finally came across something that made no sense but I thought I would give it a try. Someone posted somewhere, I wish I made a copy of the link, that perhaps it all had to do with the PC’s display adapter. It turned out to be the correct fix, and if you’re having the same problem following these steps may fix it.
- Go to your control panel and click on system.
- Click on Hardware
- Click on Device Manager
- Click on the (+) next to Display adapters which will show you your current display adapter.
- Right click on that adapter and select Update driver…
- This will bring you to Hardware Update Wizard. Select the first option, Install the software automatically (Recommended) This may take awhile so be patient.
- Several drivers should come up and I selected the first one, which worked fine for me.
That’s it, everything has been fine since. So if your icons are flickering on your desktop or your getting pissed because your commenting keeps getting interrupted by your page refreshing, perhaps all you need do is update your display driver.
Edit: It happened again, and this time the above method did not work. Another fruitless search and then I started unplugging things to see if that made a difference. Guess what turned out to be the culprit? It was the damn keyboard. Everything stopped flashing once I unplugged the keyboard! I bought a new keyboard and everything is working as it should.
If this post helped you please leave a comment telling of experience. If you think you can supply a service that others would pay for then you should join MediaPass.