I honestly believe that if you were to research any of the top bloggers you will find that they all have one thing in common. They all host their own blogs. Some of you are probably thinking that these guys are able to host their own blogs because they make enough money from their blogging. I say to you that one of the reasons they do so well from their blogs is because they host it themselves.
I’ve been in business for nearly thirty years and I understand the necessity to invest money in any business venture. The beauty of starting your own website or blog is that the cost of web hosting is minimal. There are hosts that offer great deals, some under $4 a month! Most people spend more on coffee every week, and I can assure that apart from giving you a caffeine fix the only thing coffee will help you with is taking money from your wallet.
There are many other reasons for self hosting your sites, especially if your considering a business site.
- Professionalism! If you want people to take your seriously then you have to show them you are serious, and you won’t be doing that form one of the many free sites that are out there.
- Control! You have complete control over your site, on how it looks and on what you are able to post on it.
- Security! There are many people out there who have lost blogs, myself included, that that have poured countless hours into them only to have the site close down causing them to lose everything.
- Marketing! Because it’s your very own site, one that is actually costing you money to maintain, you are much more likely promote it. You will put more effort into marketing it, through whatever means available because you want it to succeed.
- SEO! It’s a lot easier to use Search Engine Optimization techniques on your own site because you can access the files you need to change to apply some of these techniques.
Honestly, I have never looked back once I decided to host my own blogs, and instead of costing me money it’s actually increased my revenue stream.