I’m not all that big on doing milestones, although I have done one or two in the past, but I thought this particular one deserves a post. I started my list way back in December last year when I wrote a post called Why The List Hater Has His Very Own List. Since that time my list has grown to a whopping 50 members! Yeah, yeah, I know that is a piddling amount and you know I don’t really care because I know that at least my subscribers are a dedicated bunch who have joined because they are interested in what I have to say.
I’ve done a few posts about my list since then including Why I Chose MailChimp Over Aweber which is really a review about MailChimp, one that has brought quite a bit of traffic to this blog. I can safely say that to date I am more than satisfied with their services and I have no intention to change.
Why I Am Happy With List Numbers
If you’re a regular reader of this blog you know that I’ve never really supported having a list, the reasons being that most people abuse their list by continually trying to sell them something. I vowed when starting my list to never do that to my subscribers. I think when looking at my low list numbers you really need to compare the way I promote my list to the way others do it.
List Building Techniques
- The use of annoying popups!
- Give away freebies to get them to join. A lot of the time they turn out to be less than useless
- I don’t use these on any of my blogs
- Nope, don’t do that either although I do reward those you do by giving them some linkluv.
Those are the two main ways that others get people to subscribe to their list and apparently they work quite well but I personally dislike them and so I will not be using them on my readers.
Until recently my numbers were even lower and in fact I was even getting one or two who were unsubscribing which resulted in the post Why People Unsubscribe From Your List! Since them my numbers have been increasing slightly faster but it wasn’t because of that post.
Read the rest of this entry
Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2011
Over time I have proven to myself that there are many ways to make money online. I started my online money making career by doing surveys online and created my first website to offer for free those survey sites which were proven to work. I designed The Elusive Pot Of Gold without any experience in web design so you can all stop laughing After a while I expanded it offering other services and even tried other ways of monetizing it.
It was in an attempt to improve the SEO of that site that I got into blogging and now blogging has overtaken my online life as I hardly ever update my Elusive Pot Of Gold site. It’s also through blogging that I have shared many of the ways that I make money online, but out of all my online money making efforts the one site that I haven’t been able to crack is Amazon.com. Sure, I’ve made some small sales, mainly on my Top Sexual Aids site, but nowhere near enough to reach my payout level. That being the case I thought I would try using a WordPress plugin to see if I could increase my Amazon revenue. As usual I went for the free version because I know most of my readers would prefer to go that route. The plugin I settled for is WordPress Amazon Associate because it fulfilled the three things I expected from it.
Three Important Criteria For An Amazon Plugin
- It was free
- It was easy to use
- It had Geo localisation capabilities. By that I mean that it doesn’t matter if the buyer was from America, England or Even Germany, as long as they bought the product from my site I would get the commission
WordPress Amazon Associate fulfilled all those requirements
WordPress Amazon Associate
Just so you know you can download this plugin from within your dashboard. Once you’ve activated there are a few things you need to do so as to utilise all of the plugins features.
- First you need to start an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Account. You sign in by selecting the I am a returning user and my password is option.
- Once in you click on the Security Credentials link on the left and when that page opens you click on the Access Credentials link which scrolls down some so that you can access your access key and secret access key. You will need that information for the plugin so that you can validate the credentials. Once validated the warning message disappears from the top of the page.
- Once you have that out of the way you need to join the relevant Amazon country sites so that you will be paid when visitors from that country buy any of the products you are offering. Once you’ve joined you enter the associate tag into their relevant spot.
Getting Amazon Products Is Easy
Once you have the plugin up and running all that remains is using it to implement Amazon products into your posts or pages and I’m happy to say this is extremely easy to do. I’m sure that the main reason a lot of people fail to post Amazon products into their posts is because it is all too hard, logging into Amazon, searching for a product and then copying the code, and so they don’t bother. I know there are a lot of times when I didn’t bother because it was such a pain. Now it’s a piece of cake. If I want to paste a link to a mobile phone I simply do a search for mobile phones and then select whether I wanted the product to appear as;
Amazon Affiliate Link
BlackBerry 8520 Unlocked Phone with 2 MP Camera, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi–International Version with No Warranty (Black)
Amazon Affiliate Image
Amazon Enhanced Link
Then again I may want to include one of the many available widgets like my personal favourite, the carousel.
All in all this plugin makes it extremely easy to place Amazon products into your posts and pages and also lets you select from several widgets to place into your sidebars. Perhaps now making money with Amazon will be more than just a pipe dream, especially now that I’ve increased my customer base form one country to several.
Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2011