It’s unfortunate, but every now and again we, as bloggers, will have some moron visit our blog that may take exception to what we wrote and then think that he has the right to abuse the crap out of us. There are some bloggers who may retaliate in kind but I think that this is the wrong approach as it merely brings us down to their level.
Take for example this particular post, that I did on one of my other blogs. It was obvious that this bloke was a racist pig and that I could have easily have retaliated, but if I did I would have merely added fuel to the fire. There was no way I was going to sway his opinions and it would have been a wast of time trying. If anything I reckon that being diplomatic about it actually infuriated him even more.
So, how do we treat these poor misbegotten slime balls that choose to flame our posts?
- Analyze the comment. Does it deserve to see the light of day? You may decide that it doesn’t add anything to your post and that it is so obnoxious your only recourse is to delete it. I actually deleted a whole heap of that particular commentator’s comments.
- Do not respond in kind. That is one advantage of being a blogger, you can actually take the time to take a few breaths and calm down before responding to their comment.
- Be polite, civil and respectful. They may not deserve it, but it shows that you are bigger than they are. Perhaps they will calm down and put their argument, although I doubt it, in a more reasonable manner in which case you’ve shown that your course of action was the right one.
- Get Support. See if you can drum up some bloggers who support your view. Their comments may show the obnoxious commentator that he is actually in a minority causing them to rethink their views.
- Ban The Ass Hole. If all else fails and they continue to be a virtual pain in the ass, ban his IP address.
I reckon that some of you guys may have come up with some pretty cool ways of dealing with flaming jerks, and if this is so I would really appreciate some comments as others may find them very helpful.
The FlexSqueeze Theme gives my blog that professional look. I loved it so much that I bought the developers license. It's the easiest most customizable theme I've come across. See how easy it is to change your theme's appearance! Compare it to Thesis to see how much better it is! Check out some of the latest Latest Updates
I highly recommend you to get your FlexSqueeze copy today!
- WP4FB 2.0 - Unlimited Personal License
- CommentLuv Premium - Unlimited License The famous CommentLuv Premium is active on over 50,000 WordPress blogs. Finally available on JVZoo. Increase your comments, traffic and encourage visitors to share your posts. Affiliates http://ql2.me/clpaff
- Covert Social Buzz Covert Social Buzz - Brand New WordPress Plugin That Will Increase Your Social Traffic In 5 Minutes Or Less!
- Page Expiration Robot PRO Multi-Site [WSO] PER is the ultimate conversion tool. Expire posts or pages on a visitor-by-visitor basis after a specified amount of time with intelligent countdown timers. Then redirect them to any URL.
JVZoo Killer WordPress Plugins.
Filed under: Blogging Tips
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!