I have learned in life that when I am attempting something new, whether it be a new business or tackling a particular job, that it is always best to develop good habits right from the start because bad habits have a tendency to hold us back, and prevent us from reaching our potential. This is especially true for Bloggers and so every serious blogger should develop good blogging habits if they want to gain and keep a good readership. There are probably a lot of different versions of good blogging habits on the net but these are the ones that I like to adhere to.
- Make Your Topic Interesting! This is important as you need to grab peoples attention so that they take the time to stop and read your post. This goes hand in hand with a catchy title and for SEO purposes it is also a good idea to include, where possible, good keywords.
- The Importance Of The First Paragraph! You don’t want to lose them after dangling the bait with an uninformative boring first paragraph. The first paragraph should be inviting. This is also a flow on of #1 because once you have grabbed their attention they will begin to read the first few words that you have posted. If they do not find them inviting enough, then why would they take the bait read the rest of your blog? For SEO reasons it also a good idea to include your ‘Title’ keywords in your post.
- The Post Should Invite Comment. This is extremely important because the more comments you get then the more important your blog looks. People usually check out to see how many comments are attached to the post. If yours has a lot of comments, they will wonder why and then if the first 2 didn’t work, the curiosity will.
- Be Honest And Sincere. Honesty is definitely the best policy. If you lie in your post or use subterfuge, sooner or later you will get caught out and will be shunned by the blogger community. If the purpose of your post is to promote an affiliate or any other venture state it clearly and don’t try to trick people into clicking on a link. If people think you lack honesty then it will be most unlikely that they will click on any affiliate link.
- Quality Not Quantity. Doing more than one post a day, though it may be good for exposure it could well turn people away from your blog. Everyone has a busy lifestyle and may not want to keep up with all your posts. It’s is better to take the time to do quality posts, even if it means every other day, rather than a lot of sloppy ones.
- Punctuation And Grammar. With the advent of spell checking software it doesn’t take long to check your posts to make sure it’s up to scratch. If you are not going to take the time to do this why would someone waste their time reading it.
- Provide Examples. When explaining something in your post it is always best to provide an example to make it absolutely clear to the reader what it is you are talking about.
- Link To Other Blogs. This is something that I have just recently picked up and I wish I had started it earlier. Blogging is about building a learning community and linking to other blogs enhances both the sender and the receiver of the ‘linkluv’.
- Leave Room For Comment. If you do a post that covers every point possible, then what avenue have you left for someone to leave a comment other than ‘good post’ and I know how we all hate those comments.
- Ask For Participation. This would be a great way to break the ice and can be easily achieved by asking for their opinion on the post or even how they would tackle a particular subject.
These good blogging habits are only the tip of the iceberg and there are bound to be a whole lot more out there that we could all learn from. What habits do you think make for a better blogger?
The FlexSqueeze Theme gives my blog that professional look. I loved it so much that I bought the developers license. It's the easiest most customizable theme I've come across. See how easy it is to change your theme's appearance! Compare it to Thesis to see how much better it is! Check out some of the latest Latest Updates
I highly recommend you to get your FlexSqueeze copy today!
- Easy Video Press PRO - Turn Your Blog Into A Video Cash Machine Easy Video Press, Your New All-In-One Plugin To Easily Publish, Customize and Monetize Videos On Your WordPress Blogs!
- YourTube SuperStore Learn how to get a "Store Tab" in your YouTube channel so you can start selling products right from INSIDE your own YouTube channel as soon as tonight!
- InstaProduct - Turn your blog into an info product generation machine. InstaProduct is a must have for any blogger who wants to make money online publishing ebooks. InstaProduct generates full blown ebook in just a few seconds in doc and pdf (as well as in Kindle and iPad formats).
- Page Expiration Robot PRO Multi-Site [WSO] PER is the ultimate conversion tool. Expire posts or pages on a visitor-by-visitor basis after a specified amount of time with intelligent countdown timers. Then redirect them to any URL.
JVZoo Killer WordPress Plugins.
Filed under: Blogging Tips
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!