The New Year is upon us and I can just see all the serious bloggers scrambling around trying to work out what they can do to improve their blog this year. Will it be a new theme or perhaps they will try to improve on their SEO techniques. I wonder how many actually look back to see what they did last year and the probable effects it may have had on their blog’s performance.
I remember stressing last year how important commenting was, posts that included;
Yet I still wonder if the message is getting out because I still notice a lot of inane comments out there and I want people to realize that whilst these comments may get you a back link they won’t generate many visitors and I think visitors that may actually turn into commentators is what every bloggers wants.
So, for 2009 I think we should all apply the following Commenting 101 rules.
- Read The Whole Post! Honestly, how many of you actually read the whole post before commenting. Some of the comments that I’ve seen on blogs are so far to the left that it’s obvious they haven’t read the post. I am surprised that the author let the comment exist.
- Formulate Comment! After reading the post, take the time to work out what you are going to say before you just hack away at the keyboard. Try to add to the post if possible. This may include some of your own personal experience.
- Proof Read Comment! This is very important. So many commentators are in such a rush to get to the next blog that they publish their comment, complete with stupid moronic mistakes because they didn’t take the time to proof read it. Can you see my hand in the air? Yep, I have been guilty of this offense and it is something that I plan to improve on this year.
- Don’t Spam Comments! This is a real no no. You should never leave a spam comment. This is where your sole intention is to leave a link within your comment to a site or affiliate you are promoting. Most of these comments are pretty short lived and a waste of time.
- Read What Others have To Say! It’s not all that hard to skim through what other people are saying and it is the only way to add to the conversation. Imagine being amongst a group of people discussing a topic, not really listening, and then coming up with something completely off topic, something that causes a quiet uncomfortable pause as everyone tries to work out where you are coming from. That could be the effect of your comment, and as such it will be disregarded.
- Name And Not Keyword! I know that everyone is trying to get maximum exposure for their keywords but I really think that blog hosts would like a name rather than a keyword such as ‘Ultimate Blogging Tips’ when people leave a comment.
- Nothing To Say, Then Don’t Say Anything! This can happen at times and rather than an a generic ‘thanks for the post’, ‘ nice post’ etc. it is best not to say anything at all. As Forsaken of Domain Marvelous suggest it you can always show your appreciation by taking the time to ‘social bookmark the post’.
These are all very important rules, but there are many more that could be added to the list. Perhaps you have one that you would like to be listed? If so leave a comment, and if I like it I will add it to the post with a link to your blog.
I would like to add part of the comment that was left by April of Cranial Soup who inspired me to join Friendfeed with her Top Ten FriendFeed Friends, as I know not everyone will read all the comments ;) When you are ready to leave a comment on a particular post you should also keep the following in mind as that comment should enable you;
1. to participate in a conversation
2. to establish a reputation
3. to command respect from others
4. to reach out and draw people into your circle
5. to turn the blogger into an ally that is willing to give you a prime link in the body of one of his posts
Don’t forget to join Cool Blog Links and increase your Blog’s exposure.
The FlexSqueeze Theme gives my blog that professional look. I loved it so much that I bought the developers license. It's the easiest most customizable theme I've come across. See how easy it is to change your theme's appearance! Compare it to Thesis to see how much better it is! Check out some of the latest Latest Updates
I highly recommend you to get your FlexSqueeze copy today!
- YourTube SuperStore Learn how to get a "Store Tab" in your YouTube channel so you can start selling products right from INSIDE your own YouTube channel as soon as tonight!
- InstaProduct - Turn your blog into an info product generation machine. InstaProduct is a must have for any blogger who wants to make money online publishing ebooks. InstaProduct generates full blown ebook in just a few seconds in doc and pdf (as well as in Kindle and iPad formats).
- OTO Easy Video Press Flipping / Developer License
- Covert Geo Targeter Pro
JVZoo Killer WordPress Plugins.
Tagged with: commenting
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!