My commenting 101 rules for 2009. The New Year is upon us, and I can see all the serious bloggers scrambling around trying to work out what they can do to improve their blog this year. Will it be a new theme, or perhaps they will try to improve on their SEO techniques. I wonder how many look back to see what they did last year and the probable effects it may have had on their blog’s performance.
I remember stressing last year how important commenting was, posts that included;
Yet I still wonder if the message is getting out because I always notice a lot of inane comments out there and I want people to realize that while these comments may get you a backlink, they won’t generate many visitors. I think visitors that may turn into commentators is what every blogger wants.
So, for 2009 I think we should all apply the following Commenting 101 rules.
- Read The Whole Post! Honestly, how many of you read the whole post before commenting. Some of the comments that I’ve seen on blogs are so far to the left that it’s obvious they haven’t read the post. I am surprised that the author let the comment exist.
- Formulate Comment! After reading the post, take the time to work out what you are going to say before you hack away at the keyboard. Try to add to the post if possible, which may include some of your personal experience.
- Proofread Comment! Proofreading your comment is very important. So many commentators are in such a rush to get to the next blog that they publish their comment, complete with stupid, moronic mistakes because they didn’t take the time to proofread it. Can you see my hand in the air? Yep, I have been guilty of this offence and it is something that I plan to improve on this year.
- Don’t Spam Comments! Spamming a comment is a real no-no. You should never leave a spam comment which is a comment which links to a site or affiliate you are promoting. Most of these comments are pretty short-lived and a waste of time.
- Read What Others Have To Say! It’s not all that hard to skim through what other people are saying, and it is the only way to add to the conversation. Imagine being amongst a group of people discussing a topic, not really listening, and then coming up with something completely off-topic, something that causes a quiet uncomfortable pause as everyone tries to work out what you’re saying. That could be the effect of your comment, and as such, it will be disregarded.
- Name And Not Keyword! I know that everyone is trying to get maximum exposure for their keywords, but I think that blog hosts would like a name rather than a keyword such as ‘Ultimate Blogging Tips’ when people leave a comment.
- Nothing To Say, Then Don’t Say Anything! If all you can offer is a generic ‘thanks for the post’, ‘nice post’ etc. then it’s best not to say anything at all.
These are all important rules, but there are many more that we could add to the list. Perhaps you have one that you would like to be listed? If so leave a comment, and if I like it I will add it to the post with a link to your blog.
I would like to add part of the comment that was left by April of Cranial Soup who inspired me to join Friendfeed with her Top Ten FriendFeed Friends, as I know not everyone will read all the comments 😉 When you are ready to leave a comment on a particular post you should also keep the following in mind as that comment should enable you;
1. to participate in a conversation
2. to establish a reputation
3. to command respect from others
4. to reach out and draw people into your circle
5. to turn the blogger into an ally that is willing to give you a prime link in the body of one of his posts
You May Find The Following Of Interest
Check out my Laughaholics jokes so you can keep the laughs coming. You’ll especially love my latest Funny Toilet Paper Memes video. While you’re there why not join my growing YouTube Channel. As you know I’m always looking for new subscribers so why not consider subscribing to my My Bonzer Channel.
If you ever wondered how to remove a background from an image you should watch my Removing the background with InPixio Photo Clip.